Thursday, January 3, 2013

Genesis

In 2011, after years of reading Scripture and spending time in meditation almost every day, I decided to read the Bible from cover to cover. In a way that made sense: chronologically. Not only did a lot of things tie themselves together, but my life changed. For the better.

However, after reading through the Bible in a year, I was ready for some focused reading. Following the kiss system, I chose Proverbs for 2012. 31 chapters, 31 days in a month (mostly). My life changed again. For the better. Even my own Dad commented on the change. He didn't know what I was doing, which was GREAT encouragment!

While I loved reading Proverbs and focusing on the application side of Scripture, I missed constantly immersing myself in the mega-story of Yahweh. Watch all the action movies and read epic after epic, but you won't find anything better. (Most of it's even biblically based even if the authors never intended it!) So I find myself going back to the Chronological reading plan this year.

This morning I read Genesis 1-11 in The Message with the expectation of learning something. I learned 6 things: 1) God speaks- throughout the first eleven chapters, God speaks constantly: to himself, to man, to creation, etc.... He's a communicator. 2) Satan speaks- and he's got a different message than God. 3) Man is capable of knowing everything- both good and evil. Which means we can choose one or the other.  4) Integrity goes a long way with God- it's what saved Noah. 5) Since the Fall, we're evil from day one. And God knows it, but still holds back his wrath. He even says it in Genesis 8:20-21. 6) It we don't do well, sin is lying in wait for us. We have to master it, or it masters us.

While I do believe we're saved by grace alone, there is an idea of work seen throughout the Genesis story- hard work. After the Fall, Adam goes from tending a garden to tending the soil. Cain's warning by God implies works and actions. "If you do well, won't you be accepted? And if you don't do well, sin is lying in wait for you, ready to pounce; it's out to get you, you've got to master it." 4:6-7 We are responsible for our actions- so let's "do well." 




No comments:

Post a Comment