Runners and marathoners place stickers on
their cars to let everyone know how far they have run in competition? You may
have seen the little white ovals that say 13.1 or 26.2 and not realized what
they were for, but now you know. The other day I saw a meme on Facebook that
had the 13.1 and 26.2 stickers, but if you looked at the fine print, it read
“13.1 hours: my longest Netflix binge,” and “26.2: the most oreos I’ve eaten in
one sitting.” While I’m not quite the definition of this meme, I can certainly
relate to it, and am a lot closer to the Netflix binge than I want to be! I
justify it by thinking to myself that Netflix is cheaper than running. Read
that again; Netflix is cheaper than running. I’m not talking about a gym
membership, but running down the roads and trails. That might be free, but
running gear isn’t! Granted, I haven’t put pencil to paper, but I think the per
show cost of Netflix is cheaper than the per mile cost of running!
Needless to say, I watch Netflix. For
those of you who have known me a long time, you know that I enjoy science
fiction, particularly Star Trek. I grew up watching the original series most
afternoons, then Star Trek: The Next Generation. For a span of several years,
new series spun off of the Star Trek name right and left. I tried watching one
or two, but just couldn’t get into them, and ended up dropping my commitment to
Star Trek. Maybe I was a Trek purist, or I obtained my driver’s license and
found better things to do. Either way, for several years I didn’t even think
about Star Trek.
Then Netflix came along with instant
streaming. Lo and behold, one day I found Enterprise in my suggestions menu. I
decided to watch it, and enjoyed the series. I slowly worked my way through it
all the way to the end of the series. (I’ll admit that I thought it was
actually pretty good, unlike a lot of the other Trek spin offs that are as cheesy as the original.)
Needless to say, over the past few years I’ve worked my way through Enterprise,
Voyager, and the Star Trek movies. (I tried watching the original series and
The Next Generation again, but just couldn’t do it. Too much cheesiness, I
guess.) I am finally watching Deep Space Nine, and enjoying the series. The Dominion/Federation war
has just begun, so don’t spoil it for me if you know how it all ends.
![]() |
| Why wasn't he ever on Star Trek? |
Needless to say, most Star Trek series
have the same characters. The strong commanding officer, the straight man, the
single ladies’ man, the gung ho security type, the ultra-handy engineer, the
pessimist, and the eager youngster. On DS9, the pessimist is the station’s
chief security officer, Odo. He’s always the negative one of the bunch, finding
the “cloud in the silver lining,” as one character told him while I watched the
other night.
I’ll admit my guilt: I’m really good at
finding “the cloud in the silver lining.” I don’t know if it’s my
problem-solver attitude, a learned behavior, or just a pessimistic nature, but
I have to battle against it. No one wants to be around a wet blanket, including
the wet blanket! So I work to “keep it light.”
That can be hard to do in today’s world. The news revolves around the
latest perceived crises, public figures of all stripes are proclaiming doom and
gloom, and social media is littered with bickering dialogues of extremism.
Fortunately, the world goes on as people everywhere live their daily lives,
going to school, work, raising families, socializing, and participating in
community activities. (If there were ever an argument for hope and the
persistence of the human spirit, that alone is it. Media and public figures can
drum up crises all day long, but the rest of us have to work for a living and
keep society moving.)
You have to find some relief somewhere!
Laughter is good for both the soul and body. According the pundits, there isn’t
a lot to laugh about, so sometimes you have to create your own. Therefore, my
dog has a fan page. The Pete
Holmes Fan Club currently has 34 fans, and posts every few days. I use it
as a form of stress relief, creating some opportunities for laughter
and fun. Also, Pete is the coolest dog ever. Weenie dog, happy attitude, cute
and snuggly, somewhat playful, and as laid back as can be. I like to post some
funny pictures, dachshund jokes, a little cultural commentary, and of course,
pictures and comments from Pete himself (or at least my imagining of Pete’s
comments).
Some people like to laugh at me for
creating a The Pete Holmes Fan
Club, but I don’t mind. The point is to create laughter, and it’s doing
that. Proverbs 17:22 tells us “a cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed
spirit dries up the bones.” In other words, laugh! Laugh long, laugh loud, and
laugh hard! King David, who saw some hard times, even wrote in Psalm 16 “in
Your presence there is fullness of joy.” (He’s talking about God’s presence, in
case you didn’t know.) In a sense, when we laugh with joy, we align ourselves
with God’s will. We show that we trust Him; and His sovereignty; and his plan
for our life.
When is the last time you had “fullness of
joy?” Maybe today would be a good day to look on the bright side.


No comments:
Post a Comment